National polytechnical museum – Sofia
It is located at 66, “Opalchenska” Street, Sofia. The idea of creating a museum of technique in Bulgaria has a long history. We will save this information and say that the Polytechnic Museum became part of the Bulgarian museum system on 13 May 1957.
It keeps over 22 000 exhibits distributed by collections: time measuring, transport, photography and cinema, optics, sound and sound reproduction, radio and television, computing equipment, musical instruments, geodetic appliances, measuring equipment, household appliances, sewing machines, physical appliances, communications equipment and more.
The museum holds valuable testimonies related to the life and scientific work of prominent figures of Bulgarian science and technology, interesting single items, etc. The scientific archive includes more than 2000 archive units.
The museum also has a video archive, a cinema archive, a photo archive, a reference apparatus for the history of science and technology, personal archives, a specialized library – a reading room with over 12 000 books and periodicals, a collection of artworks with technical themes, cartographic works.
In the permanent exhibition on an area of 1 000 square meters there are only about 1,000 objects from the rich fund. Collections and single exhibits are presented in other museums and museum collections.
The audience of the museum consists mainly of young people – students, technicians and technology specialists, Bulgarian and foreign tourists, collectors and amateurs. The number of visitors is about 30,000 per year. It is part of the 100 national tourist sites of Bulgaria.
Photo: Dian Nikolov